This classic ice cream cone cupcake recipe has been floating around since the 1960s, popularized by a Betty Crocker recipe. An instant hit with kids, these fun treats can be customized to meet any flavor or dietary need, including gluten free, dairy free varieties.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are Fun Treats
The goal of this dessert is simple: to combine ice cream cones and cupcakes to make a clever, low-mess, fun treat that looks like a real ice cream cone. Because the cupcakes are baked using the cone as a liner, the result is a food that is eaten entirely, while the moist cake section is ensconced by the cone.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Recipe
24 Ice cream cones with flat bottoms (not the waffle cone variety)
1 box of any cake mix, made according to directions
Frosting of any flavor or color
Toppings (sprinkles, colored sugars, etc. to taste and choice)
Muffin pans for 24 desserts
– Make the cake mix according to the mix directions.
– Place cones in muffin pans, one cone per muffin. Smooth bottoms of cones as needed so that the cone remains standing upright.
– Spoon batter into cones directly, filling cones halfway.
– Bake cones at the temperature noted on the cake mix box for approximately 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the top of the cupcake cone withdraws clean.
– Remove cones from oven and place on cooling plates. Do not leave in muffin pans.
– When cones have completely cooled, frost with choice of color and flavor frosting.
– Decorate with sprinkles, colored sugars, candies, or any other edible decoration.
Gluten Free Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
For a gluten free variation, use a GF cake mix like Cherrybrook Kitchen’s Chocolate Cake Mix. Gluten free ice cream cones are sold by companies such as Let’s Do, Barkat (waffle) and Goldbaum’s. Betty Crocker frostings are carefully labeled if not gluten free.
Dairy Free Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
To make dairy free ice cream cone cupcakes, substitute vegetable oil for butter and soy, rice, or coconut milk for cow’s milk. Cherrybrook Kitchen’s Chocolate Cake Mix is also dairy free in addition to being gluten free.
Recipe for Cupcakes Yields Variety
The choice of cake flavor, frosting, and toppings can lead to plenty of varieties. Try banana cake with strawberry frosting. How about chocolate cake with white frosting and crushed peppermints? For an added activity at a party, let kids decorate the ice cream cone cupcakes themselves to customize their dessert.